- Modified or Standard Pushup
- Standing Broad Jump
- Step or Push Race
- V Sit-up
- Step Shuttle Run
- Vertical Leap
- Ball dribble
- High Knee Step
- Line jump side to side
- Line jump front to back
- Stair step
Train for Your Events: Athletes can train in all skills, achieving their personal best and will select up to 4 of their favorite events for competition. Coaches will submit registration with qualifying scores for divisioning and then final scores for competition. Athletes will earn recognition honors. The Training Guide is available here and competition registration will be available by email from email@example.com.
Submit Your Results: As you’re training, keep track of your scores using the tracking sheet here. Once your training is complete you will submit your best event scores to your coach.
If you have any questions on the Sports Season At Home please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dance your socks off with a virtual dance with Special Olympics New York on Thursday, June 18th at 6 pm. The party is free but there is a fundraising option where you can win a cool pair of socks and other neat stuff. For more information and to register, visit specialolympics-ny.org/socktacular!
Weekly Live Workout- Friday at 11 AM
Every Friday at 11 AM, Special Olympics New York hosts a live webinar. For more information contact email@example.com
New health and fitness content is posted regularly to our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/polarsony/. Sport specific workout videos will be posted on the channel soon!
Athletes- join our Fit5NY Facebook Group and share photos of what you’re doing each day!
We have recently started to post sport-specific trainings that can safely be done at home with little or no equipment. One of the first sports to be uploaded is powerlifting. There is a series of 3 videos that have been posted. Each workout focuses on one of the events for competition and is designed to be done once per week.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnpOoOOGp4 (focuses on squat)
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1k1-PQrGtY (focuses on bench press)
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wz-BkB14X0 (focuses on deadlift)
VIRTUAL TRACK PRACTICES EVERY SUNDAY MORNING (11 – 11:45 AM)
- Every Friday at 11:00am there will be a new LIVE work out with the whole SONY family! For security purposes we have to change the link for the webinar each week. So contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the link.
- Every day, new content will be added to our YouTube Channel here: YouTube Channel.
- Athletes- join our Fit5NY Facebook Group and share photos of what you’re doing each day!
While our programs are suspended, we’ve been working to develop ways for our athletes, families, and volunteers to stay engaged. The virtual programming is a great start, but we know that a lot of folks are missing out on the social connections right now. SONY Connect is an inclusion initiative to pair volunteers and athletes to get in touch and form relationships during this time of social distance and isolation.
If any athletes would like to be paired up virtually with our volunteers (text, FaceTime, email, etc.), please take 2 minutes to fill out this Google Form to help us match people up: https://forms.gle/nma6MTfQ7hXFrvuBA. The form is designed so that either an athlete can fill it out or someone can fill it on behalf of an athlete.
If you have any feedback or run into any trouble during these initial stages, or would like to volunteer to help, please notify Kim Byrne at email@example.com.
Additionally, we are rolling out a letter writing campaign for volunteers statewide to write notes of encouragement to our athletes with limited or no access to the internet. If you know of athletes who would benefit from receiving letters in the mail, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org. The NYSO staff will receive the letters and mail them out to athletes, so athlete information is not being shared with anyone outside the SONY office.
Hello Special Olympics New York Family!Have you been looking for a way to remain active and engaged while our sports training and competitions are suspended?Well, we have great news. We are going virtual!During this unique and challenging time, it is more important than ever to take ownership of your own health and maintain a healthy body and mind. We are here to help.Beginning Monday, March 23, we will launch a six-week virtual training program custom tailored to YOU.We will introduce this program at a LIVE webinar this Friday, March 20, at 11 a.m. CLICK HERE when the time comes to join us. You will hear from President & CEO Stacey Hengsterman and our health team. Chris Hughes and Toni Howard from ABC Sports and Fitness will also lead us in a fun, LIVE, workout!Here’s how it will work.Access New Content Every Weekday, Beginning at 11:00 amEvery weekday at 11:00 a.m., a new video will be posted on the Special Olympics New York YouTube channel. (Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel Here!)These will include a multitude of health, wellness and sport-focused activities and educational resources following this schedule:
- Mondays: Fitness
- Tuesdays: Nutrition/Hydration
- Wednesdays: Wellness/Mental Health
- Thursdays: Athlete-Led Activity
- Friday: LIVE WebinarStay Social with #Fit5NYContent will also be made available via Special Olympics New York social media networks, so make sure you’re following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!The best place for this content on social media is in the Special Olympics New York #Fit5NY Facebook Group. Here, you will find a community of hundreds from the Special Olympics New York family, from athletes and coaches to supporters, staff and volunteers. We are all here to support one another through this new virtual program and well beyond. Join the Facebook Group Here!Fit5 Challenge for Athletes (Optional)Finally, athletes will also be given the choice to participate in a six-week LiveFitNY: Fit5 Challenge work toward 5 days of Physical Activity (30 minutes or more), 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day and 5 bottles of water (12 oz. or more) per day. Track your progress each week for 6 weeks and receive PRIZES!To opt in to this Fit5 Challenge, Sign Up Here and then track your weekly Fit5 goals! This challenge will start Monday, March 23rd and end on Sunday, May 3rd.Ready to get started?Subscribe to the Special Olympics New York YouTube ChannelJoin the #Fit5NY Facebook GroupCheck back every Monday through Friday beginning at 11:00 a.m.Questions?
For more information and to register please contact email@example.com
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org